Friday, August 01, 2008

Last weekend, while cruising the back roads in south central Michigan, my Aunt, our friend, and I came across THIS:

It's an adult Trumpeter Swan and his/her cygnet (baby swan.) But wait, there's more:

A whole family of swans. Here's mom or dad with all three cygnets.

Here are both parents with the three cygnets. They had absolutely no fear of the cars driving past or of the people stopping to take their picture.


We saw them almost by accident, as the pond we were going by normally has Egrets, Cranes, and Herons. I now know that Trumpeter Swans like that place too! I've never seen them before, so it was a big first for me. Definitely the high point of the weekend!

8 comments:

  1. Oh, neat pictures! I've never seen a trumpeter swan. They look like big birds - I hope they wear those orange safety vest at night, being up on the side of the road like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots. There's a big pond on the road that goes to Terri's sister's house that has lots of swans swimming around. They stand on the bank along the road and watch the cars go by. I've been tempted to stop and take a pic a few times, but it's on a very bad corner of the road, and I didn't want to get killed or something. :\ (obit would read...hit by a car while taking a pic of a swan)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cool pics! What a sweet family but it scares me to think they are so darn close to the road.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pix. Reminds me of the "white chin strapped ducks" I saw in NJ. They were up real close to the road too and didnt seem to mind the vehicles passing so close to them at roughly 40 mph.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooohhh, ahhhhh, look! Swans! Awesome pictures - thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. swans! Wow why can't I ever see anything like that? 1600 miles and all I saw was OCHA's :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. . o 0 (1600 miles and all I saw was OCHA's - durn it.. some peoples has all the luck)

    ReplyDelete