Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Tonight is the results show for American Idol, presenting the music of Barry Gibb. This was the first week the performers got to sing two songs, and it was interesting to hear their choices.

Melinda chose "I Love You Inside And Out" and "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart." What else can be said except that once again she showed her professionalism. I couldn't find fault with either performance. She should make it into the finals easily.

Blake chose "I Should Be Dancing" and "This Is Where I Come In." Both songs were performed with some beatboxing. I preferred his second performance; The first one was sort of weird with this staccato reverb that didn't wow me at all. He is certainly in danger of being eliminated.

LaKisha chose "Stayin' Alive" and "Run To You." I was surprised she selected Stayin' Alive, since the song is performed in male falsetto. Singing in the lower key, I feel she did a pretty darn good job with the song. Her performance on the second song wasn't as good, in my opinion. There were moments at the end where she was either trying too hard, or just plain overpowering the lyrics unnecessarily. LaKisha is also in danger of being eliminated.

Jordin chose "To Love Somebody" and "A Woman In Love." Some have said, at 17, Jordin is too young to sing A Woman In Love. In some respects yes, but I believe she pulled it off. I'm no expert, but I didn't hear her pitch problems. She isn't as much of a longshot to win it all as some might think. She should be safely into the finals.

I'm assuming Barry will sing tonight, along with another surprise artist. In one hour, we will know who will be in the finale next week.


Update at 9:10pm EDT: Pink is the surprise performer tonight!

1 comment:

  1. Wasn't crazy about Pink's performance.
    I agree with pretty much everything you said, except I don't think Lakisha did all that well with Stayin' Alive... it was no show stopper for sure, I did prefer her second song better.
    I thought Jordin was by far the best of the night on both her songs. the last couple weeks I've often thought she was better than Melinda on some of her song choices. Melinda is flawless and she needs to pick more difficult songs to show her flawlessness. (is that a word?)

    Down to the final 3 which I think I predicted a few weeks back?

    ReplyDelete