Monday, June 27, 2011

Beautiful Weekend Followed by a Sad Monday

Several weeks ago, I received a message from one of those school contact sites, where you can get back in touch with people from school.  It was my friend Holly, whom I had not been in touch with since we graduated 6th grade.  She actually had lived here in the Chicago area for several years and had never thought about looking me up.  Now she lives in Louisville with her husband and two dogs.  Lo and behold, her husband is doing some work this summer in Chicago, and she came up to visit him.  So on Saturday, I drove into the city and met up with them at their hotel.  We walked several blocks looking for a relatively quiet place to sit and have a drink or two and chat for a bit while deciding what to do.  Unfortunately, we only had a few hours together, but it was so nice to see her again.  We both don't want to let 30 years go by before getting together again.

Then today I go in to work and find out a co-worker passed away Friday night.  Our Credit Manager was undergoing chemotherapy for Mesothelioma.  Unfortunately, the cancer was already very advanced when they diagnosed him, and the intensive drugs never really had a chance.  So after work today I went to the wake, and several from my office will be at the funeral tomorrow.

I keep thinking there's something else I wanted to mention, but I can't think of it.  If I happen to remember what it was, I'll post it later this week.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had such a nice weekend. You deserve it. And i'm sorry about your coworker. Even if you never see them outside of work they are still good friends...

    Hope you have a better week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is as if the old saying, "When one door shuts another one opens".

    What an emotional rollercoaster those couple days must have been -

    *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a rough one. It is kind of ironic that you hooked up with a friend from the past at the same time another friend died. It had to make you stop and think how important it is to make each moment count and not wait until someday... Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you were able to meet up withh your friend after so long!

    Sorry to hear about your co-worker though! *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's ironic how often things like this happen. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your co-worker. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete