Monday, April 14, 2008

This evening, a cougar or mountain lion, was shot and killed by Police in a Chicago neighborhood. Below are a couple pictures I took from the CBS website.




They don't know who the cat belonged to, they'll be searching it for tags, chips, or markings to track ownership. Cougar sitings in Chicago are rare.

5 comments:

  1. I wont make the same comment I did in your MSN box (dont wanna offend anyone with my crude trucker's daughter's mouth) but damn that's a huge one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have mountain lions around here, although the PA Game Commission won't admit to it. There have been several sightings, and I believe that was what Terri and I saw one evening running into the corn field out near the highway. The game commission tells everyone they're just bobcats, but bobcats don't have tails like that. (somehow i missed this post last night)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a big animal! It's a shame they killed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why couldn't they tranquilize it and send it to a preserve or back in the wild? So sad...but I guess that huge cat could eat a lot of rats(or children.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They felt it was too big a threat to the people in the neighborhood. It's very difficult to take down wild animals, very unpredictable. Plus they knew if they tried to tranquilize it, it didn't work, and the cat got someone's kid, they'd be sued for not taking enough action. They were in a lose-lose situation. Better to err on the side of caution.

    ReplyDelete