For several years now, I've seen a mysterious bird hanging around the lake by my apartment. I usually would spot it as I was driving past, with no time or place to stop to get a better look. One time I walked over to the lake, where there is very little shade, and tried to take a picture. I think he/she knew what I was doing because it always swam to the far side of the lake whenever I got anywhere near close enough for a picture.
Lately, I've seen it hanging out at another lake/pond nearby, and last Saturday, I decided to go see if it was there.
Lucky for me it was! With my camera, I hid behind a dumpster so it wouldn't swim too far away and snapped these. I emailed the pictures to a bird expert I know, and she confirmed it is a Double-Crested Cormorant.
Apparently, they are becoming pretty widespread in this area. Here's a link to a page with more information on the Double-Crested Cormorant: Link
While at the lake, I also saw an Egret, so snapped a couple pictures of it.
The next day as I was going furniture shopping, I passed another man-made lake, and in the middle of it were about a dozen of the Double-Crested Cormorants. Oh to have had my camera with me!






Glad you finally got a photo of it! :)
ReplyDeleteGreat shots! I've never seen anything like the Double-Breasted Cormorant. (your link didn't work for me)
ReplyDeleteI try to take my camera with me everywhere I go now, but sometimes I forget to take it out of it's case, so when I go to grab it to take a pic, it's not out and I miss the shot. The group of birds you saw would've been a great shot. Maybe you'll see them again sometime.
Loved these pics. :)
I checked out your repaired link. I thought it was pretty cool that there was a sound clip on the site. I listened to it a couple of times. :)
ReplyDeleteI wish I could get pics like that..I never seem to have my camera handy when that kodakmoment happens (ie the coyote that crossed the road right in front of me) That lake looks lovely and a haven for birds...maybe some more pics soon :D
ReplyDeleteGorgeous photos!! Really, really nice!
ReplyDeleteFurniture shopping? What did you get??
Nice bird shots!
ReplyDelete*pictures you hiding behind a dumpster taking photographs*
Those Cormorants must be a long way from home?
We're going to have to start calling you Birdlady. I hope there wasn't anything stinky in that dumpster ;0
ReplyDeleteGood pictures - nice share.
Very nice!
ReplyDeleteThese days I don't usually have my camera with me simply because it's larger than the old one and doesn't fit in my purse like the other did.